Mind Your Back! Entrepreneur Coming Through - Episode 12

Sometimes you have to leap before you look, and pray that you land without breaking all 206 bones in your body ~ Carol King

The time had come for our heroine to decide which path to take. If you are new to the Blog, welcome! Or if you have missed any previous episodes you can CATCH UP HERE!

July 2014
I was just yawning and stretching in bed when my phone began to ring. I peered at it with one eye open and the other shut. It was too early for my phone to be ringing. Anyone who knows me knows that I am not a perky morning person. (Think Grumpy Cat) If you want to keep all of your teeth in tact it is best for you to approach me quietly in the mornings if you must approach me at all.

I was busy moving my phone forward and back trying to bring the screen into focus. Its tooooo early! I can’t see at this time of the morning.  I was still trying to bring my phone into focus when it stopped ringing. Good! I thought. A moment later a voice message notification came through. I managed to clear my vision enough to tap the voice message icon.

I listened dispassionately.

However what I heard made me spring out of my bed (and I do not SPRING before 9am) and rush into the bathroom to wash my face. I hurried back to my phone and listened to the message again.        

Oh My God! 
Oh My God! 
Oh My God!

Seriously? Oh My God!

The message was from a journalist who wanted to know if she could interview me for a newspaper. COULD SHE? Was that even a question? Hell Yes! I immediately called back and spoke to a very pleasant lady who explained how she had found me and which newspaper the interview was for and we also arranged a time for her to do the interview.

The newspaper was a local business paper and the article would be part of an ongoing series highlighting small local businesses. Cool, I thought. This could really boost my cookie sales. What great exposure this could be, I was excited.

However during the phone conversation I was asked a question that I answered with ease but caused me to stop and think on seriously afterwards. The lady told me that the criteria for the interview was that making cookies had to be my sole source of income and not a side job as it were. It was in fact my sole source of income but for the first time I was forced to think about my cookie making venture as an actual business.

Prior to that point I considered it as something I was doing until I got a job, but now this interview would be portraying me a business owner. Is that what I was? Is that what I wanted to be? This was some serious stuff to ponder. Could this really become my business? Did I even want to be a business owner? Oh my! Brain ache! These were questions that I most certainly did not have the answer too.

I spent the day with “The Question” going around and around in my head. What to do? What to do? Was I ready for this? Was there even a market for this? Suppose I failed miserably? It certainly would not be the first time.

One thing about me is that I do not procrastinate. A decision needed to be made so I made it. I would start a business. I would stop looking for a job and put my heart and soul into making it work. I have never been afraid to try new things and I have never backed away from a challenge. I was gonna do this and I was gonna do it BIG.

Just one thing though…

How was I going to start a business by the following week?

*********************

Stumped Again?

Join me next time to find out if our intrepid entrepreneur manages to weasel her way out of yet another sticky situation.

And be sure to SUBSCRIBE so you NEVER MISS an EPISODE!!


Carol xx

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Add Your two cents worth in the Comments. But play nicely :)

Powered by Blogger.