BFF – Best Friend Forever or Bad Fake Friend? - Episode 10

Sassy Cookies Barbados has an Official Fan Page on Facebook @ www.Facebook.com/SassyCookiesBarbados GO LIKE THE PAGE BEFORE YOU CONTINUE. THANKS J

It’s amazing how someone you considered to be a good friend could suddenly become insulting, negative and condescending simply because you choose to live your life differently.  

This was just one of the many difficult situations handled with poise and grace by your intrepid entrepreneur as she attempts to turn a miserly $50 dollars into a thriving business.

If you are new to the Blog, welcome! Or if you have missed any previous episodes you can CATCH UP HERE! So let’s get on with the story and find out if that so called friend has had her teeth removed without anesthetic?

 July 2014
Driving home from town I saw a friend of mine at the bus stop so I stopped and picked her up. Chatting on the way and I told her about the café that had agreed to take my cookies. I was a little surprised about her lack of enthusiasm about my good fortune.

My friend knew all about my losing my job and how difficult things had been for me financially. So when she offered no response to my news I asked her if something was wrong. A shrug of the shoulders was all I received by way of a reply.

We had known each other for a long time so I was not going to settle for that as an answer. We were pulling up to my house so I held off my interrogation until we got inside. I took out the ingredients I needed and began to make the cookie dough. I got a drink for my friend and asked her if she was going to tell me what was wrong or was I going to have to beat it out of her.

“Why are you baking cookies, why don’t you do some proper cooking? You are a trained experienced chef why are you wasting time making these silly little cookies?”

Have you ever had one of those moments when someone says something so totally inappropriate to you that you tilt your head to the side with a quizzical look on your face whilst trying to figure out if they are crazy, if they’re joking or if you should beat them around the head with a chair?

I looked at my friend for a long time and it was clear to me that she was totally serious. Because she had this incredulous expression on her face and was obviously waiting for me to explain myself.

It took me a long time to respond. I really did not have any intention of explaining myself to her or anyone else. I did not feel that I needed too. In fact I was disappointed that someone who had been my friend for such a long time would expect me too.

“Considering what I have been through this last couple of months I am really shocked and disappointed that you would say something like that to me.” I said.  

“Also I did not know that you were such a snob. I wonder if you would be so quick to condemn and judge if you found yourself in the same situation. Would you be willing to let your home be taken from you or let you children go hungry whilst you searched and waited for a job that allowed you to do PROPER COOKING?”

The look on her face told me that she felt my words deeply. So much so that she finished her drink and said she had to go. I walked her to the door and wished her a safe journey home. I went back to my cookie dough but the conversation we had just kept going around and around in my head.

Why would she say something like that to me? What’s so terrible about making cookies? It’s not like I am going to be doing this for the rest of my life and even if I did choose to do it for the rest of my life SO WHAT?

It’s amazing how arrogant people can be. PROPER COOKING! There are chefs who cook in establishments ranging from Michelin starred restaurants to fast food restaurants to hospitals and schools and the one thing we all have in common regardless of the type of food we are producing is, we all work damn hard for our money. And I for one would never look down my nose at another chef just because the kitchen he or she works in does not have any accolades. And neither should anyone else.

***********************

And there you have it. The moral of the story...Support your friend’s regardless of what they do for a living. (As long as it’s legal J) Ours is not to judge!

Join me next time and REMEMBER to CLICK the LINK in the Sidebar to SUBSCRIBE.

Carol xoxo


And by the way head over to www.Facebook.com/SassyCookiesBarbados and LIKE the Official Sassy Cookies Fan Page.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Add Your two cents worth in the Comments. But play nicely :)

Powered by Blogger.