50 Dollars and a Prayer - Episode 1


So is it possible? Or am I just the most hopeless optimist in the world? Can I really create a successful business with just $50 to start me off? Well I have no idea but as I really have no other choice I am going to give it a damn good try.



June 2014
Let me go back to the beginning.  In June 2014 I got laid off from my job. (Best thing that ever happened to me). I say so because I was working for a complete ******** I will leave that to your imagination. That man was unreasonable, abusive and unfair. Working for him was absolute torture day in and day out. I used to travel to work each day trying to think of an excuse not to go to work. I even used to wish I was ill so that I could call in sick. Now this is clearly no way to live. But that’s just how bad it was. Anyway my former boss kept cutting down my hours until eventually I was working only 16 hours a week and then he laid me off all together.



Although I was mortified and had no idea how I was going to pay my bills, there was a part of me that was relieved. A tiny little part that was doing back flips because, I no longer had to put up with that megalomaniac. So I spent the next 24 hours fretting about how I was going to pay my bills and how I was going to get another job considering how bad the market was. Not to mention the fact that I am according to many prospective employers “on the wrong side of 40” in other words “past it.” The next 24 hours was probably the longest of my life but also the most productive because amidst all the anguish and pain an idea sprouted forth.

By profession I am a chef and I have a particular love and talent for pastry making. I also knew a couple who had opened a café a few months before I had been laid off. The couple had mentioned me working for them at some point so I decided to go and see them to find out if they were in position to offer me a few hours work per week.

Unfortunately it turned out that they were not ready to start hiring so I left the café somewhat dejected. However on my way home something that had been mentioned during my conversation with the couple came back to mind. They mentioned that they make most of their pastries themselves but they also buy some pastry items from local bakers. I had an idea!

I’m a chef and I love to bake. What could I make that would be suitable for this couple and their café? I mulled that idea over for quite some time and then it suddenly hit me. Shortbread! The couple are English. Many of their customers are English. They sell fabulous quality coffee. Therefore a good quality shortbread cookie would go down a treat.

I went home and pulled together all the money I had left from my last pay check. After taking out money for my bills I had $50 left. I did not hesitate. I took the fifty dollars and headed to the supermarket to buy the ingredients I needed to make the shortbread cookies. I also stopped at a cake decorating store and bought some containers and ribbon to dress up the cookies a little.

The next day I got up early and made a batch of shortbread cookies and I have to say they tasted amazing. I had forgotten how yummy these very simple cookies can be. I put them in the packaging container, tied it with ribbon and took them to the café. I left them with the couple and they promised to call the next day to tell me what they thought. I left feeling optimistic and excited. I also had a job interview the following day so things were looking brighter, I honestly felt like I would be OK after all.

What happened next?

You will have to check out my next post to find out.

**SUBSCRIBE TO MAKE SURE YOU NEVER MISS AN INSTALLMENT**

Love
Carol xx

Psst!
Can't Wait for Episode 2? Click Here to Read it!


Here are some other places you can connect with me online...
Facebook

Instagram

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Add Your two cents worth in the Comments. But play nicely :)

Powered by Blogger.